Illustration of the TempleSpeaker: Jan Magiera
- Series: General Topics
How we are connected in a community – normally use body as illustration but the temple shows some interesting aspects of community as well
1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and [that] the Spirit of God lives in you? -- the you is “plural” – the spirit is what connects us with a common union
2 Corinthians 6:16 And what alliance has the temple of God with demons? But you are the temple of the living God, as it is said: I WILL LIVE WITH THEM AND I WILL WALK WITH THEM AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD AND THEY WILL BE MY PEOPLE. – from Lev 26:11-12, now spirit is IN us, abiding in us, so we are constantly connected
The Corinthians were familiar with idea of large gaudy temples – Apollo and Aphrodite
Word for temple in Hebrew: dwelling place of the great king God, could be a palace, the king’s dwelling quarters – called “the house of the Lord” and a “sanctuary.” Solomon’s temple was beautiful inside and out.
Psalm 29:9b Lit: And in His temple all of it says, "Glory!"
Ephesians 2:19-22 APNT
19 From now on, you are neither strangers nor foreigners, but citizens who are holy [ones] and [of] the household of God.
20 And you are built on the foundation of the apostles and of the prophets and Jesus Christ is the head of the corner of the building.
21 And in him the whole building is fit together and is growing into a holy temple in the LORD,
22 while you also are built in him for a dwelling of God spiritually.
- Jesus is the complete foundation, the cornerstone and the whole foundation of the building – he sets the parameters of the building – the fulness of his spirit, his peace, righteousness, wisdom
- Temple is fit together perfectly – closely organized together, joined and united to Christ as well as each other
- We get the idea that all the stones in the temple are alike, but not so, more like a building complex with a mixture of all kinds of stones: quartz, gold, diamonds, precious wood, etc.
- It is growing – continually being added to and enlarged and it is set apart for God (holy)
A foundation of stone is hard and rigid, but this foundation is a “living stone.”
1 Peter 2:4-10 The one to whom you are drawn is the living stone that men have rejected, yet with God [is] chosen and honored. – this stone imparts life to every other stone of which the church is built.
5 And you also, as living stones, are built up and are spiritual temples and holy priests to offer spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable before God by way of Jesus Christ.
6 For it is told in the scripture: BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION AN APPROVED AND PRECIOUS STONE IN THE HEAD OF THE CORNER AND HE WHO BELIEVES ON HIM WILL NOT BE ASHAMED.
- We are living men, so are moving, acting together in this spiritual house (stone eben, son ben)
- Together we become the dwelling place of God where He can be worshipped. God now lives both among and with (in) his people, not in a building but in a living community.
- Spiritual sacrifices are like the burnt offering in OT, dedicating our whole lives to God
- Holy priesthood: go into the holy place with prayers and praise and thanksgiving
9 Now you are a chosen generation that serves as a priest for the kingdom, a holy people, a redeemed assembly, to declare the praises of him who called you from darkness to his excellent light,
10 you who previously were not counted a people, but now [are] the people of God. There were even no mercies on you, but now mercies are poured out on you.
Couple of other comparisons:
n Temple is the place of edification – it is built up (words) Rom 15:2 in love
n Temple is a place of rest (lay your burdens down)
Psalm 132:13-14 KJV For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.
Community of the temple is the dwelling place of God where he can be worshipped, praised and fellowship with Him Jesus and each other. Community of the people of God, a holy people, a redeemed assembly.